12.01.2017

Changing Perspective

by Lisa Larrabee



Bull Skull study I


Bull Skull study II

I frequently take the opportunity to draw alongside my students.  It helps me practice my drawing skills as well as provide an "extended demo" that students can refer to as their drawings progress.  I first allow students to set up around the still-life and then I find a place for myself.  This usually provides me with a contrasting view of the subject.  In this case, I ended up with a very similar perspective.  Because I work on the drawings in each class, they develop simultaneously.  I found that it was very helpful to slightly shift positions.  As I worked on one drawing, I would recognize measurements and relationships that we inaccurate on the other drawing, which I could then fix the following day.  Considering a different perspective (even if only a little different) will give you a better understanding of the subject as a whole.  This is true of both drawing and of life.

~ Lisa