4.27.2015

Portrait Painted General to Specific

by Lisa Larrabee

Gabriella Study

9"x12"  Oil
artist Lisa Larrabee


This oil study was for a painting demonstration.  I wanted to begin the portrait with general shapes.  I did not start with any preliminary drawings.  Initially, I laid down even simpler general shapes with Transparent Earth Red thinned with OMS.  This image shows the portrait after basic color shapes were added with thicker paint.


When the overall shapes felt like they were in relationship with each other, I began working out smaller shape relationships within the larger ones.  It is important to continuously assess and correct as you go.



I am still learning when to stop.  There are some areas where I could keep tweaking, but I captured what I intended, so I'm letting go.

~ Lisa